Local businesses and organizations have played an important role with the True North Youth Foundation (TNYF) supporting the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Academy (WJHA) through its Living Philanthropy Program. The program includes adopting a class and running weekly on-ice sessions for the 25-week duration of the WJHA season.
More than coaching hockey, this approach builds relationships and fosters connections, allowing organizations to grow with their classes and provide consistent support and mentorship through their years in the WJHA until high school graduation. As well as providing enthusiastic and knowledgeable mentors with diverse career backgrounds, these unique partnerships also open the door for potential future internship and job opportunities for WJHA students.
The Living Philanthropy Program is perfect for organizations who are looking to get more involved in their community and brings the added benefit of a long-term team building opportunities for employees. Working together with each other and with a diverse background of WJHA students creates a strengthened sense of team and community.
A Living Philanthropy partnership requires:
- The ability to commit to a 25-week program from the beginning of the hockey season in mid to late October through the middle of May (three-week Christmas break and one-week spring break)
- Minimum pool of 12 employees to rotate biweekly (to minimizing work disruption)
- Weekly commitment of six staff volunteers (minimum of two females) for two hours at the rink plus transportation time to/from work
- 4 on ice volunteers (ability to skate at an intermediate level) and 2 bench support volunteers to assist the WJHA head coach with practice
- Flexibility in adapting to the needs of program participants who come from various socio-economic backgrounds with various behavioural tendencies.
As a Living Philanthropy partner you would join other community leaders including Price Industries, Maple Leaf Construction, Birchwood Automotive Group, Skybridge, True North Sports + Entertainment, Princess Auto, Winnipeg Police Services, RCMP, and New Flyer. These organizations have been key to fostering the overall growth of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Academy and directly support and impact more than 600 of this year’s 750 WJHA participants.
…”It’s far more than just learning to play the game of hockey. We’re really trying to help get kids through school and make them feel good about themselves, to believe that they can achieve anything” – Mark Chipman, True North Youth Foundation
As much as the program is rewarding for WJHA students, the program also pays in dividends for participating organizations and their employees through meaningful interactions, shared triumphs, lasting memories, and gratification in knowing that they are helping to shape young lives.
Companies wishing to learn more about becoming part of TNYF’s Living Philanthropy Program can contact email@example.com or call Winnipeg Jets Hockey Academy Director Murray Cobb at 204.926.5583 for more information.